7.28.2007

vamp.

i've never been one to do a lot of red. i always thought big girls ought not rock colors that bright; i always used to want to be left alone, to my own devices & business without drawing attn to myself. i already stood out physically. why add to it?
then one day when i was in high school my grandmother, mother & i were in the jc penney outlet. & there was this shirt i wanted. i loved it. i wanted it in navy, but it only came in red. with simple white piping around the collar. my concession, since momzie & mommy thought it looked so nice was, well, to get it in a 3x (just for the record, no part of my body has ever been a 3x ANYTHING, even at my heaviest). so i had this tent-like shirt. it was part of my "going away to college" arsenal. so, i only wore it when everything else was dirty. because it was red. & my simple ass didn't realize that more fabric = bigger clothing = more attention.

as i've aged, i have more or less stayed away from brights. red, green . . . as accent colors only. i have print clothing that tends to be on the docile side (w/ the exception of a cocktail dress here & there). . . & the only bright i ever really stuck with was bright pink.

then i found out that i'm omo sango. his colors are red + white. when olaomi told me that i was like "dangit. that means i'ma HAVE to wear red at some point or another. i don't do red." i kinda panicked. red hair is one thing (auburn is my summer color of choice), but red clothing? eh . . .

but i'm getting better. tryna grow into who i am. baba's got me. yeye & my ancestors have got me. most importantly, my ori is doin its thing. i even own a red dress(!!!)

at 26, my first red manicure. hmm. i kinda like it.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: